Basketball is a team sport played widely across the globe and one of the most viewed. It consists of 2 teams of five active players looking to score points against one another by throwing a ball through a 10 foot high hoop, or basket. It can be played indoors and out and the size of court, height of the basket and length of game-play can all vary according to the age and skill level of the players!
1. As a fast moving game, it involves dribbling, defence, rebounding and shooting meaning its incredibly active, fun and an amazing workout
2. An hour of basketball can burn up to 750 calories, and while its stop-start nature means it isn’t considered aerobic it’s a big workout to play a game whether serious or fun
3. It improves balance and co-ordination
4. Builds up muscle
5. Builds up endurance
6. As with all team sports it develops self-discipline
It’s a fantastic sport for kids and as well as being a great way to stay fit it can:
7. Help build friendships and teach the importance of being a team player
8. Can be played by everyone – all ages and abilities
9. It’s an all year sport because it can be played indoors and outdoors
10. You don’t need a full team to play – you can enjoy basketball alone (just you and a hoop!) or with two people practising dribbling and defence. Although an official game requires 10, we say the more the merrier for a fun summer activity!
Getting started with basketball
Check out your local sports centres in Great Yarmouth and associations for information on how to join a team or start your own. You can always get in contact with us to point you in the right direction.
If you are already part of a team and would like to apply for up to £500 of funding, then we are taking applications for awarding in November 2019.